Thursday, November 15, 2007

Colorless Chicken

In Junior High School I took nine weeks of home economics. My strongest memory of it is of making homemade biscuits. I remember my team doing really well with our biscuits until we realized that we failed to preheat the oven. My Mother on the other hand took more than nine weeks of home economics when she was in school. I am sure she has more than one memory from it, but the one the I know of from hearing it over the years is that her teacher would always tell them that when you plate a meal it should not all be the same color. From what I know her teacher felt like having different colors on the plate not only looked better, but also that it was more healthy. I am not sure I agree one hundred percent with this as I can think of a few exceptions such as several Indian dishes where everything is yellow, but at the same time it is full of vegetables and very delicious. Despite a few exceptions I still think she has a valid point. While one of the things I like about cooking is that there are not any real rules to it... I think tonight's dinner would have been better if I had headed Mom's home economics teacher's advice.

For dinner tonight I tried a new Cooking Light recipe that I saw in October issue for Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Garlic and Goat Cheese. To make the dish you roast a head of garlic which is then mixed with the goat cheese and stuffed in the chicken. You saute the chicken for a couple minutes on each side before putting it in the oven to finish cooking. I served it over polenta, as Cooking Light suggested, with a side of sauteed spinach with mushrooms. While the spinach added beautiful color to the meal everything was soft in texture. The stuffed chicken was very good, but lacked color and a little something else. Everything was good, but the meal has potential to be a lot better. I think I should have stuffed the chicken breasts with the garlic / goat cheese mixture and the spinach and served a side dish with more crunch to it. While I probably won't follow this recipe again I do think I'll keep an eye out for more stuffed chicken recipes.

Russ rates the stuffed chicken with polenta an 8.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reba, i you will be happy to note that not only did i take home ec. for a year, but i was the award winner...so if you have any questions, just feel free!

Reba said...

I had forgotten about your big home economics award! We should have had you over to dinner the night we made this chicken. I'll keep the award in mind for future home ec questions!