Sunday, June 1, 2008

Cash's Birthday Treats

Russ and I adopted Cash over a year and a half ago. When we got him he was already a few months old. Based on the West Alabama Animal Rescue’s information and our fabulous vet’s opinion Cash was born during the month of June in 2006. We count June 1st as his birthday, but I told him he can really celebrate all month long since we don’t know the exact day! Today ended up being the perfect day to celebrate his birthday as Bernie (my parents’ dog) was staying with us and Hugo (Jess and Scott’s dog) had come to play for the a couple hours this afternoon. The dogs had a blast playing together and I decided to bake them a new treat recipe in honor of Cash’s 2nd birthday.

This is a new recipe that I found on a cooking blog that I check out periodically. I like his blog as he cooks lots of recipes from Cooking Light and he frequently makes homemade dog treats for his pups. When I saw his recipe for Crunchy Cheddar Oat Snacks I just knew Cash would love them. While we have done others that he has really enjoyed this new recipe has cheese in it which just so happens to be Cash’s favorite food.

To make these you start by softening the butter. Once it is soft put it in a bowl with the oats and hot water. Stir the ingredients together and then let it sit covered for about 10 minutes. Then add the cornmeal, sugar, bullion, milk, cheese, and egg and mix together. Then add the flour and mix it together until it is a firm ball of dough. Add some flour (as needed) if it the dough is sticky and put it out on a floured surface. Then knead the dough until it is smooth and no longer sticky. Then roll it out until it is about a quarter of an inch thick and cut out your shapes. I did dog bone shapes, circles, and Cs (for Cash). Let these bake for about 30 to 45 minutes at 325. Rotate pans halfway through.

All three dogs served as taste testers and these treats got six paws up! They loved them! Bernie who has not been a fan of my homemade treats in the past loved these and wanted more. I sent some home with both pups’ parents and Cash is planning to take some to share with Wagg and Chester when we watch the Bachelorette tomorrow night. I think Cash had a good birthday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cash,
Your mom makes the best treats! Maybe my mom will try it one day. The cheese ones are so yummy! Happy Birthday, Cash-man!
Wagg

Anonymous said...

Cash is officially no longer a puppy! Thanks for the treats; Hugo loved them. I'm amused that Bernie enjoyed them because when I offer him any treat except a standard Milk Bone, he rejects it and gives me this look that seems to say "those aren't the treats that MY mom serves at MY house." He must be branching out!

Jess

Emily said...

I didn't realize the treats were in celebration of his birthday! Happy Birthday Cash! Chester about tackled me when he realized those treats were for him. He gobbled his treat up so fast I doubt he actually enjoyed it!

Thank you from Chester!

Reba said...

I'm so glad all the pups enjoyed them! Cash loves sharing his homemade treats!