Monday, October 6, 2008

Leftovers Recreated

Now that it is October and January was months ago my poor New Year’s resolutions have been a bit forgotten. If you happen to remember they were to cook from some of the neglected cookbooks that are on my shelf and to create my own recipes. Tonight I somewhat resurrected my resolutions by creating my own quesadilla recipe. Apparently the only things so far this year that I am creating on my own are quesadilla recipes, but to my credit both have been very good.

Tonight I had several tasty leftover ingredients in the fridge that I didn’t want to go to waste, so I decided to combine them all for a tasty quick dinner. The ingredients I had were fresh spinach, goat cheese, and grilled chicken all of which go together really well. I sautéed the spinach with a little bit of chopped onion until it was wilted. Next I took the tortilla and put it in the nonstick skillet that I coated with cooking spray and layered the spinach, goat cheese, and chicken on top. I then topped it with a little more cheese and another tortilla. I let it cook until everything was heated through, the cheese had melted, and it was a browned on both sides. I served it with salsa and sour cream.

This was a super fast meal that was very tasty. The goat cheese complements both the spinach really well and the chicken adds a heartiness to the meal. I love fresh spinach and it cooks so fast and is such a beautiful color that it really makes the meal. These could not have been easier and while far from gourmet they were a perfect quick weeknight dinner. Russ rates the quesadillas an 8.

No comments: