Monday, April 23, 2007

Birthday Lasagna

Tonight was the Bachelor night and Russ, Cash and I hosted. This means we were responsible for the entrée. This weekend I was trying to decide what to make, but I was not coming up with any great ideas. So Russ suggested I try making my Mother’s lasagna. Growing up we could always pick what we wanted for dinner on our birthday. Jessica always picked fondue, Dad picked fried chicken, Will usually picked turkey, Mom picked a restaurant, and I always picked lasagna. My Mom has lots of wonderful dishes, but this is by far my favorite. I have watched her make it for years and helped a couple times, but this is the first time I have made it all on my own.

It is fairly time consuming to make, but not too difficult and is fun and relaxing when you have the time. You basically have three parts, the meat / tomato mixture, cheese mixture, and the noodles. There are not exact amounts for the seasoning or some of the other ingredients, so you have to base it on taste, texture etc. So yesterday afternoon while Russ and Allen brewed beer outside I cooked inside. Allen and Russ served as tasters for the meat / tomato mixture once the beer was done. Once all the parts are done then you layer them in the dish starting with the noodles, then the meat, then the cheese and repeat.

Mom always made lots when she made it because it freezes so well and is a good dish to share with others. So, I did the same and made a lot including a large dish for tonight, a smaller one for the freezer, and a small one for Allen. I thought it turned out well for my first try, but it is not quite as good as when Mom makes it. Emily brought a great salad and loaf of french bread and Seth and Elizabeth brought an artichoke dip for an appetizer and bananas foster for dessert. All the puppies came and they had a blast playing together! Cash was pretty disappointed when Wag and Chester left, but he will sleep really well tonight. Russ rates the lasagna a 9, but I think it is more of an 8 since there is room for improvement.


Mom’s Lasagna
(approximate quantities are based on what I used)

Meat and Tomato Mixture:

3 lbs. ground chuck or ground round
1 chopped large onion
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Dried basil, to taste
Dried Italian seasoning, to taste
Salt and pepper, both to taste
Dried parsley, to taste
2 bay leaves
¾ of a small can of tomato paste
2 cans (14.5 oz each) of diced tomatoes (I used one regular and one with Italian seasonings)
1 (14.5 oz) can of tomato sauce
Water, if needed add a little water to the sauce

Cheese Mixture and Other Cheese:

1 large carton of cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup or a little more of sour cream
1 bunch of green onions chopped

1.5 bags of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup of grated parmesan cheese

Noodles:
1 to 2 packages of lasagna noodles (I used one full package and a little of the 2nd)

For the meat mixture you brown the meat and drain the oil from it. Then add the onion and garlic and sauté for a couples minutes. Then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 45 minutes. Periodically taste it to check for seasonings and adjust as needed.

For the cheese mixture beat the eggs with a fork and then add the cottage cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions.

Boil the noodles and then rinse with cold water once they are done.

To assemble spray the pan with Pam and then put a layer of noodles on the bottom. Then cover with a layer of meat sauce. Then put spoonfuls of the cheese mixture all over and spread them with the back of a spoon to cover. Then sprinkle the mozzarella and parmesan all over. Top with noodles and repeat. You end with noodles on the top and before you back it you put toothpicks in to keep the noodles from curling up too much. Bake at 350F for 45 to 60 minutes. Bake it uncovered for the first half and then cover it with foil for the remaining time. When it is hot throughout and bubbly it is done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rebecca cooked me a pan of Birthday lasagna so that this bachelor could survive. I cooked it this Tuesday and it was a great meat sauce. However, I suggest a top layer of Mozzeralla cheese (slices) Parmegianno Cheese (grated) (as opposed to Parmensan) go on the top layer of noodles. Alas, the bachelor was full and slept well that evening.

Reba said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I'll have to give the cheese on top a try next time.