Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Pizza Night


Since I had lots of leftover homemade ricotta cheese I figured we needed to use some of it in one of our dinners this week. So, we decided to make CL's Basil and Three-Cheese Thin-Crust Pizza from September 2006. Russ and I are working on eating at home more to save money and eat healthier and on working out more. We like to run together and then we both have separate weight routines we like. This morning Russ was good and got up and did his weights and I did not... Being the sweet husband he is he cooked dinner tonight while I worked out. He did an excellent job and I think he enjoyed doing it!

The pizza is fairly simple to make, but does take some time especially since it involves rising time for the dough. We have tried a couple different homemade pizza dough recipes before and this one fell in the same categories as the others - good, but not outstanding. The sauce we did think was really good and while it is called Spicy Pizza Sauce it is not overly spicy. I think that what really made the pizza yummy were the cheese and especially the ricotta. It added both great texture and flavor. I think that store bought ricotta would work well with this, but if you have the time and interest I highly recommend making your own.

We served the pizza with a small Caesar salad and sliced strawberries. Russ did add some pepperoni to his half of the pizza which he thought went well with it. I think we will definitely use ricotta on future pizzas we make. As far as the sauce we will most likely use it again too, but we will continue looking for a better pizza dough recipe. Russ rates tonight's dinner a 8.

No comments: