Saturday, October 27, 2007

Even More Apples...

When Russ and I stopped at the apple orchard I picked out two and half pecks of apples to take home and I am came very close to getting another peck or two. I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough apples to make tons of apple dishes and share some with Jess and Mom. On the drive home Russ and I were talking about what to do with the apples and Russ requested homemade applesauce. When we got home I looked at the recipe and remember thinking that I would not have enough apples left to use 12 plus apples to make applesauce. Well, I shared some with Jess and Mom and I made several apple dishes and I still have more than enough apples to make applesauce. I am really starting to think that the apples are multiplying as it doesn’t seem to matter how many I use there are still tons left. I’m not complaining about having too many apples as there are more things I’d like to make with the remaining apples, but I am just saying that I’ve found out that two and half pecks of apples is really a lot of apples.

Since I have tons of apples left I decided to try making applesauce on Saturday, but before I get that Russ had also requested waffles and since I woke up hungry…. no starving on Saturday morning I decided to make the waffles first. I just got the December issue of Fine Cooking (even though it is still October!) and it had a pull out on breakfast dishes including their recipe for Light, Crisp Waffles. Even though I love Dad’s waffles I couldn’t pass up trying a new recipe.

To make the waffles you mix all the dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda) in a bowl. In a separate bowl you mix the buttermilk, milk, vegetable oil, and egg yolk together. In a third bowl you beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Then you sprinkle the sugar and add the vanilla and keep beating until firm peaks form. Then you combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients (not the egg white) and stir them until combined. You then dollop the egg white on top of the waffle batter and fold them into the batter. Then you cook the waffles on the waffle iron and put them in the oven (200F) after you make them until you have made all the waffles.

The waffles were yummy! I asked Russ if he thought these or Dad’s were better and he couldn’t say unless he had them both next to each other as they are very similar in taste and texture. So, that decided it for me that I like Dad’s better as they do not require three bowls and a mixer and they have wonderful memories in every bite. Russ rates the waffles a 8.

Once I was no longer starving I decided to start on the applesauce. I decided to go with Ina Garten’s recipe for her Homemade Applesauce. To make the applesauce you zest one lemon and two oranges and then juice them into a large oven proof pot. You then peel, core and quarter approximately 12 to 16 apples and mix them with the zest and juice. I ended up using a mix of the three kinds of apples I picked up at the orchard – Mutsu, Arkansas Black, and Rome Beauty. They varied in size, but I used 13 apples total. Once they are in the pot then you add the cinnamon, all spice, and butter. I also threw in some of the peel from the Rome Beauties for color. The pot then goes in the oven covered for one to one and half hours at 400F. Once they are done you remove the peel and then whisk the apples until you get the consistency you like.

While the apples were baking our house smelled AMAZING! It smelled like we had a large vat of spiced apple cider simmering in the kitchen. The applesauce was very easy to make and it had a pretty color and great texture. It is definitely more of a spiced applesauce than just regular applesauce as the cinnamon and all spice add a lot of flavor. Russ and I both really liked the flavor, however, I think I’ll cut the spices back a little bit next time. I shared some with Mom and Dad and Mom thought I could just leave the all spice out next time. Jess and Scott got some too and Jess felt like it would be great with food such as oatmeal or for those who eat pork (not me) a pork loin. I think this is definitely true and I plan to try it over oatmeal for breakfast one day this week. Russ rates the applesauce a 8. Don’t worry… I still have more apples left!


Light, Crisp Waffles, Fine Cooking December 2007

Yields four to five 8 inch waffles.

A required rest in the oven not only adds to the crispiness of the waffles, but also allows you to make a big batch, so everyone can eat at once.

3 1/2 (3/4 cup) bleached all-purpose flour
1 oz. (1/4 cup) cornstarch
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
6 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 large egg, seperated
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Heat the oven to 200F and heat the waffle iron. Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Measure the buttermilk, milk, and vegetable oil in a Pyrex measuring cup; mix in the egg yolk and set aside.

In another bowl, beat the egg white almost to soft peaks. Sprinkle in the sugar and continue to beat until the peaks are firm and glossy. Beat in the vanilla.

Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until just mixed. Drop the whipped egg white onto the batter in dollops and fold in with a rubber spatula until just incorporated.

Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron (1/2 to 2/3 cup depending on your waffle iron) and cook until the waffle is crisp and nutty brown (follow the manufacturer's instructions for timing at first and then adjust to your liking). Set the waffle directly on the oven rack to keep it warm and crisp. Repeat with the remaining batter, holding the waffles in the oven (don't stack them). When all the waffles are cooked, serve immediately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried mixing the applesauce with plain oatmeal, and it's delicious. That's what I had for breakfast most of last week. It would probably be good stirred into plain yogurt as well. Thanks again for sharing it!

Jess

Reba said...

I am glad you enjoyed it! I didn't get a chance to try it with oatmeal this time, but that gives me a good reason to make it again soon.