Sunday, October 21, 2007

Surprisingly Tasty and Simple Pasta

Whenever we come back home from being out town no matter how long we've been gone Russ and I both are always ready to have a home cooked meal. The only problem with this is that we usually come back tired from traveling. This weekend was no exception. We went to Atlanta for one night to visit Sam and Farrah and go to the Beer Festival. We had a wonderful time and like always when we got home we both wanted to stay in and eat a home cooked meal for diner. For some reason I was at a complete loss as to what to make, so Russ mentioned that pasta sounded good to him. I pulled out Giada’s Everyday Pasta cookbook and flipped through it. I almost immediately stopped at a recipe that has caught my eye before as one that looked simple and pretty good, Rigatoni with Sausage, Peppers, and Onions. Since I was looking for simple and pasta I decided to go for it even though it didn't look like a fabulous recipe.

To make the pasta you sauté the red peppers and onions (seasoned with salt and pepper) in olive oil for a few minutes. The recipe calls for ¼ cup of olive oil, but I just used about two tablespoons and it was plenty. Once these have sautéed for a few minutes you add the garlic, basil, and oregano. This cooks for a little longer and then you incorporate the tomato paste. Once this is incorporated you add the Marsala wine, diced tomatoes with their juices, and the sliced sausage. I used precooked sausage which made the dish even easier. The sausage, pepper, onion mixture then simmers until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. This is where you should start the pasta... but I didn’t read the recipe all the way through before starting and therefore didn't realize the sauce needed to simmer for 20 minutes. Anyway, I cooked my pasta earlier and then when the sauce was done I tossed it with the sauce long enough to make sure the pasta was heated back up.. You then serve the pasta and sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.

I was pleasantly surprised with this pasta dish. As I mentioned before I didn’t have the highest of expectations, but the flavor and combination of red peppers, onions, and sausage were fantastic. Russ and I both really enjoyed this dish and it was perfect for night like tonight where we are tired, but want a warm, home cooked meal. This one will definitely be repeated in our house since it was simple to throw together and very flavorful. I do think I overcooked the pasta a little and I ran out of penne and had to use two types of pasta, but besides that it was great. I am looking forward to having leftovers for lunch tomorrow and that is always a good sign. Russ rates the pasta a 9.

Rigatoni with Sausage, Peppers, and Onions
Giada De Laurentiis

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
2 red bell peppers, sliced
2 yellow onions, sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup Marsala wine
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain. (I used precooked sausage, so I skipped this step and just sliced them and added them later.) Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and cook 2 more minutes.Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the Marsala wine, tomatoes, and chili flakes, if using. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer. Cut the sausages into 4 to 6 pieces each, about 1-inch cubes. Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.

While the sauce simmers, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Drain the pasta and add to the thickened sauce; toss to combine. Spoon into individual bowl and sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.

No comments: