Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Fish as Comfort Food

For the past couple of years Russ and I have stayed fairly healthy. I'd like to think that this is in part to the fact that we eat pretty healthy with a few exceptions for wings and Jelly Bellies from time to time and we run pretty regularly with a few off weeks every now and then... However….when it comes to the first week in December I am cursed. On December 1st Russ and I ran the Jingle Bell Run and while I was running I was contemplating how good I felt as opposed to last year at this time when I stood on the sidelines with Cash because I was under the weather. Well lo and behold I wake up on Sunday and I am feeling a little under the weather. Just like last year I have a bad cold that turns into a pesky cough that takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to go away. All this to say that I can’t wait until the first week of December next year…

On a more positive note, Russ did take great care of me and picked up every kind of take out soup that Birmingham has to offer in the last week and a half. I am still coughing and don’t have all my energy back yet, but I am back to cooking at least for tonight. Since I have had a lot of soup recently I decided against my first instinct to make a warm pot of hearty soup. I still wanted a comfort food type of meal, so I decided on Giada’s Salmon Baked in Foil which is as simple to prepare as its name makes it out to be and very yummy. You simply slice two shallots, drain a can of diced tomatoes, add some lemon juice, olive oil, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl. Then tear off a piece of aluminum foil and rub the salmon fillet with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and place it in the center of the foil. Then spoon some of the tomato mixture over the top of the salmon and wrap the foil up sealing it off. Let the salmon packets bake at 400F for 25 minutes. When they are done you open them up to find perfectly cooked, moist salmon with tons of yummy goodies on top.

This may not be comfort food to everyone, but to me tonight it is perfect! I served it with green beans and couscous. This meal is so easy to make and it comes out perfect every time. While the recipe is for four servings I don’t half any of it except for the salmon when I make it for the two of us. The shallot / tomato mixture is so tasty that I like having tons of it. This would be a great meal for entertaining as the packets can be prepared up to six hours in advance. Then when your guests arrive you can simply toss them in the oven. If you like eating fish, but are nervous about cooking it then I highly recommend this as a great recipe to try. Actually if you like fish at all I think you should try this recipe. If you don’t like salmon you can use another type of fish as long as it is not too delicate or thin of a fish. We have done this recipe with swordfish before which worked well; however, we prefer the salmon with this one. Russ rates it a 10!

Salmon Baked in Foil

3 tomatoes, chopped, or 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
2 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about ½ lemon)
1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or ¾ teaspoon dried
1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or ¾ teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 salmon fillets (about 5 oz)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, stir in the tomatoes, shallots, 2 tablespoons of oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. In the center of each of four large sheets of aluminum foil, spoon ½ teaspoon of oil. Place 1 salmon fillet atop each sheet of foil and turn to coat with oil. Sprinkle the salmon fillets with the remaining ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Spoon the tomato mixture over the salmon. Fold the sides of the foil over the fish and tomato mixture, covering completely, and seal the packets closed. Place the foil packets on a large, heavy baking sheet. (The salmon packets can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead. Refrigerate until ready to bake.)

Bake until the salmon is just cooked through, about 25 minutes. Using a large metal spatula, transfer the foil packets to plates and serve. (You may want to unwrap and plate the fish in the kitchen before serving.)

My Notes: I use canned tomatoes and dried herbs and in this recipe as they work just as well as fresh in this recipe in my opinion.

Recipe from Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentiis

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe - so simple, but so good. In the summer it's nice with heirloom tomatoes.

Jess

Reba said...

I've actually never tried it with fresh tomatoes before. I'll have to give it a go this summer with some of the heirloom tomatoes from the farmer's market!