Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Manly Sandwich

Early on when Russ and I were dating I learned that he is without a doubt a meat and potatoes kind of guy or more specifically a cheeseburger and French fry kind of guy. I am pretty sure that there is nothing that Russ prefers to eat over a good cheeseburger with a side of fries. If he let himself then he could eat them several nights a week without getting tired of them. I too enjoy a good burger, but for me it is more of an every now and then kind of food. Despite Russ thinking I try to sneak vegetarian meals in on him we eat meat at most every meal, however, I would not describe our diet as a meat and potato one. While I know Russ enjoys the meals I make ever now and then I try to make something that I know caters to his meat and potato side. Tonight it came in the form of a sandwich that I knew not only Russ, but also Allen would more than appreciate.

Seeing as I have a blog I do enjoy checking out other blogs especially other food blogs. I ran across The Pioneer Woman Cooks a while back and have enjoyed following her food and non-food blog ever since. This is her husband’s favorite sandwich and I think it may now be my husband’s favorite too. To make the Marlboro Man Sandwich you sauté onions (and I did mushrooms too) in a cast iron skillet with butter. While the onions cook you cut cube steak across the grain and sprinkle it with Lawry’s season salt. Once the onions are cooked you remove them and add more butter to the skillet. Then you add the beef and once it browns you add Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and a little more butter to it. While it finishes cooking you butter the buns and toast them on a buttered skillet. Once everything is done you layer the beef, onions, and mushrooms on the bun and I topped it with some of the sauce and sliced mozzarella cheese. To try to put something a little healthier on our plates I served it with a simple salad of mixed greens and homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

Let’s just say Russ and Allen fell in love with the sandwich and said they would be just fine eating these every day for the rest of their lives… well not the rest of their lives, but they did say they wouldn’t mind having these at least once a week. I’m pretty sure we don’t need to eat this much butter once a week, but I could see these becoming a traditional beer brewing dinner. Russ rates them a 10 and if our rating scale went higher I imagine so would the rating on this sandwich.

No comments: