Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Good Roast

Just a few weeks ago I spoke of my bone to pick with the weather and how I had decided to wait until it turned colder to make a pot roast. Well, I have been dying to make a pot roast, but since it needs to cook for a minimum of three hours then I really need to do it a weekend so we don’t eat at nine o’clock at night. It finally turned cooler, but our weekends just haven’t allowed time for a pot roast. So, today I decided that come hell or high water I was going to make a pot roast and not just any pot roast, but The Good Roast. My Mother has two pot roast recipes which I have dubbed The Good Roast and The Bad Roast. I’ll be honest The Bad Roast is not actually bad it just doesn’t compare at all to the flavor and vegetable gravy of The Good Roast. I have never made The Bad Roast, but apparently it is easier and takes less time than The Good Roast which is why Mom has two pot roast recipes. Today I finally make it to the grocery store to get the ingredients around five or so… and by the time I get the roast in the oven and cook it we still end up eating at nine o’clock… Luckily it turned out delicious and was worth the wait and late dinner.

The pot roast was moist and flavorful and the vegetable gravy that it cooks in just makes this dish. I served it with green beans and mashed red potatoes. It is definitely a favorite winter time comfort food of mine and Russ will never turn down a meat and potatoes meal. It was delicious and I look forward to using the leftovers in a couple different ways in the coming days… so stay tuned. Russ rates The Good Roast a 9.

The Good Roast is a family recipe that I have been asked not to post on the blog which I respect. However, if you are family and would like a copy of the recipe then you are more than welcome to submit a blood sample, appropriate paper work (including a marriage certificate if you are related by marriage), and a formal letter requesting the recipe… or just email me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

im going to need your marriage certificate in order to obtain a recipie.....no time soon, once i live in town and can think about making dinner on a regular basis, but you definately wet my apetitie

Reba said...

Sounds like a plan! I'd be happy to share recipes with you.