Monday, March 10, 2008

Maybe I don't have a sweet tooth after all...

Russ and I have lots of things in common and overall our tastes in foods are very similar. When we eat out we frequently are considering some of the same options from the menu and can predict what the other will order. I always want a bite of whatever Russ is having and he (whether he admits it or not) wants one of mine. However, tonight we found out a difference in our taste preferences that we had never known. Tonight’s dinner had a very sweet flavor to it. While you are probably thinking that I loved it Russ and didn’t care for it since I (hands down, no questions asked) have the bigger sweet tooth, you would actually be wrong. While I don’t think either of us has ever thought about it before, we discovered tonight that when it comes to meals I prefer savory while Russ enjoys both savory and sweet. Who knew!

Tonight for dinner we tried Fine Cooking’s recipe for Shrimp Stew with Coconut Milk, Tomatoes, and Cilantro. To make it you start by peeling and deveining the shrimp and tossing them with salt. Then heat the oil and add the bell pepper and cook until it is tender. Then add the scallion whites, cilantro, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook for about a minute. Then add the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring it to a simmer. Let it simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes. Then add the shrimp in and let them cook until they are just cooked through. The recipe says to cover it partially with the lid and let cook for 5 minutes, however, Russ and I used 1 lb of shrimp and not 3 lbs and it took just about 2 minutes for them to cook through. Then add the lime juice and serve it over rice garnished with the green part of the scallions and rest of the cilantro.

This was very good, but way too sweet for my tastes. I would cut the coconut milk back by half next time at first and taste it as I go. I also could not find my favorite brand of coconut milk and had to use my not favorite brand which I find to be sweeter and I believe it is coconut cream which may be my problem… Russ really liked the sweetness and would not change a thing, so next time I might let his cook a little longer and add more coconut milk to it for that sweet flavor he liked. Besides it being too sweet I really enjoyed the dish. It does have some complexity to the flavor with the cilantro and red pepper flakes. We both really liked the tomatoes in it as it added great flavor and texture. The entire meal came together very quickly and is great for a weeknight meal. Russ rates it a 9. I will say this is the first time I would really disagree with his rating. If the sweetness were cut in half I would then agree and give it a 9. I highly recommend this dish, but make sure you get coconut milk and start with half the can and add more if you think it needs it.

Shrimp Stew with Coconut Milk, Tomatoes, and Cilantro, Fine Cooking
Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients:

3 lb. jumbo (21 to 25 per lb.) shrimp, peeled and deveined Kosher salt2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil1 large red bell pepper, sliced into very thin 1-1/2-inch-long strips4 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts kept separate)1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes14.5-oz. can petite-diced tomatoes, drained13.5- or 14-oz. can coconut milk2 Tbs. fresh lime juice

In a large bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with 1 tsp. salt; toss to coat, and set aside.
Heat the oil in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring, until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Add the scallion whites, 1/4 cup of the cilantro, the garlic, and the pepper flakes. Continue to cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.

Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer to blend the flavors and thicken the sauce slightly, about 5 minutes.
Add the shrimp and continue to cook, partially covered and stirring frequently, until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt. Serve sprinkled with the scallion greens and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro.

My Notes: We used 1 lb. of shrimp for the two of us and it was more than enough.

No comments: