Monday, March 17, 2008

A Tasty Repeat in Telluride

If you have been reading this blog since it started then you may remember that last March I went with Russ and his family out to Telluride, Colorado to go skiing. This year we were blessed to be able to all go again (plus a few newer significant others). I did not grow up in a skiing family, so last year was my first time ever to go skiing. Since I am still new to skiing I am still learning lots about how to ski and the skiing lifestyle. One thing that struck me odd was that despite it being after daylight savings that the lifts close at 4 pm. It stays light for several hours after 4 pm and while I know that certain things have to happen after the lifts close such as ski patrol making a last run and the snow “cats” grooming the runs it still seemed like they would at least run until 5 pm. Well, by the second day I was thankful that they did close at 4 pm. Skiing is a lot of fun, but it is totally exhausting and by 4 pm each day I was ready to take off my ski boots and find a cold beer.

I was especially happy to have the lifts close at 4 pm on the night that Russ and I cooked dinner for everyone. Last year and again this year each of the four Chambliss “kids” and their respective significant other take one night to cook for everyone. Last year Russ and I did a Mexican theme with tortilla soup and tacos, here. This year I debated about what to make… Being a planner I wanted to know what we were going to make before we went, so this meant I wanted to stay away from dishes that I thought might be prepared by the other siblings in order to not duplicate. I finally decided on a simple, yet hearty dish that makes a great presentation and everyone loves – Chicken Vegetable Braid. It is a repeat on the blog that Russ and I made once before here.

The Chicken Vegetable Braid is pretty when it is whole like a present all wrapped up. Once you cut into it you see all the bright and pretty colors of the vegetables. It is a delicious and filling meal. I really like how all the flavors and textures play together in this dish. Russ and I were especially pleased that everyone seemed to enjoy it! Russ rates it a 9.

Chicken and Vegetable Braid (Mom from Pampered Chef)
1 cup broccoli, diced
2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
1/3 cup red pepper, diced
4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tsp. dill mix
½ cup mayonnaise (I use reduced fat)
¼ tsp. salt
2 packages crescent rolls (I use reduced fat)

Preheat oven to 375 F.Mix everything except the crescent rolls together in a bowl (this can be done the night before if you want). Then roll out the rolls and cut slices. Put the mixture in the middle and then wrap the slices cris crossing at the top (to form the braid). Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes. (My notes: To serve 10 I made two braids and did a little more than double the chicken / veggie mixture.)


2 comments:

Rushton Waltchack said...

Hey Rebecca! Sumner told me about your blog. I'm obsessed with recipes and cooking also and I have had so much fun looking through your past recipes. I'm going to try a few this week. I love the photos! ~Rushton Waltchack

Reba said...

Rushton, I am so glad you enjoy the blog! Let me know if you try any recipes. Rebecca