Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Exceeding Expectations

I have always liked mayonnaise spread on my sandwiches in fact it is my preferred condiment when it comes to sandwiches. It has a creamy texture and great flavor that just add that perfect touch to a sandwich. I’ve always loved it in chicken salad and pimento salad too. It wasn’t until I ate hot artichoke dip for the first time and requested the recipe that I realized I’ve probably been eating mayonnaise in lots of other dishes for years and not even known it. When I saw the ingredients in baked artichoke dip for the first time I almost fell out of my chair. I couldn’t believe that baked mayonnaise with just some cheese and chopped artichokes could be good. I mean really the thought of hot mayonnaise is disgusting and this is coming from a long time fan of mayonnaise. I am not sure I will ever understand how hot, baked mayonnaise can actually taste good, but you know what it really does. Even knowing that I like it baked in dishes such as hot artichoke dip I am still skeptical every time I try a new recipe that involves baking with mayonnaise. Tonight’s recipe was no exception. After reading the recipe I thought these are going to taste like hot mayonnaise… but once again I was proven wrong. I guess I need to just accept the fact that I am an all around fan of mayonnaise cold or hot.

To make the chicken tenders you start by mixing the panko with salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. I would highly recommend not substituting a different kind of bread crumb for the panko. You can now find panko in almost every grocery store and it really is the best for this recipe. Then you trim the chicken tenders to remove any of the exposed tendon if they have it. Then in another bowl mix the mayonnaise, hot sauce (I used wing sauce), cayenne, and salt together. Then add the chicken tenders to the mayonnaise mixture and make sure each one gets a good coat on it. Then take each chicken tender and roll it around in the panko mixture and then place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Preheat the broiler for at least ten minutes. Once the broiler has been thoroughly heated then put the baking sheet in making sure it is far enough away from the flames to not burn the breading. Let them broil for about 6 minutes on each side. While they are broiling mix the blue cheese, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper together in a bowl. This made a lot, so next time I would cut this back by half. I served the chicken tenders with carrot sticks, celery sticks, and John’s slaw.

These really exceeded my expectations! They were crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. They had a little bit of a kick from the wing sauce and cayenne without being too spicy. They were really simple and quick to make in fact I think tonight was the earliest we have eaten dinner in a long time. These were excellent as an entrée, but I think they would also make a fabulous appetizer or great game day food (if you are watching the game at home). The blue cheese dipping sauce was very creamy and tasty. I felt like it definitely had a fresher and brighter flavor than most store bought blue cheese dressings. It did make a ton, so as I mentioned before next time I'll cut the recipe for the sauce in half. Russ and I both really enjoyed the chicken tneders and blue cheese dipping sauce. After a having the last four recipes come in at 8s I have finally broken the streak and Russ gave the chicken tenders a 10! (Hass: I think you would really like these.)

Crisp and Spicy Chicken Tenders with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce, Fine Cooking
Serves four.

Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper1-1/2 lb. chicken tenders3/4 cup mayonnaise1 Tbs. hot pepper sauce (I actually used our favorite wing sauce – Phil’s)1/4 tsp. cayenne3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 4 oz.)1/2 cup sour cream3 Tbs. milk

Pour the panko into a shallow dish (like a pie pan) and toss with 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.

Trim off any exposed tendon ends from the wide tips of the chicken tenders, if necessary. In a medium bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of the mayonnaise with the hot sauce, cayenne, and 1/8 tsp. salt. Add the chicken and toss with your hands to coat well. Coat each tender in the panko and arrange in a single layer on a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate while you heat the broiler and make the sauce. Position an oven rack 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler on high for at least 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise with the blue cheese, sour cream, milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined and only small bits of cheese remain intact. Broil the tenders, flipping once, until they are crisp and golden brown in spots on the outside and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side (rotate the pan as needed for even browning). Transfer the tenders to a platter or to individual plates and serve with the dipping sauce.

Serving Suggestions:

As with Buffalo wings, fresh carrot and celery sticks are perfect here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We almost never cook chicken, but these look really good to me. I bet kids would enjoy them, too (maybe with ketchup instead of the blue cheese dip).

Jess

Reba said...

I think making them for kids would be a great idea! Kethcup would be good too and you could leave out or cut back on the hot sauce if you were worried it might be too spicy for little ones. You'll have to let me know if you end up trying it.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to trying it.
Elizabeth

Reba said...

Let me know what you think when you try it.