Monday, March 12, 2007

An Alfredo Craving


Typically on Sunday I start our menu planning for the week. Russ may argue that I start thinking about it further in advance, but nothing gets finalized until Sunday. Usually Russ doesn't make lots of requests because he isn't sure what he'll be wanting four days from now, however, this time he did have a request. Russ has been craving Fettuccine Alfredo recently, so to satisfy his craving we put Cooking Light’s Fettuccine Alfredo on the menu for tonight. This is an older CL recipe that was republished in the January 2007 issue. I have made Cooking Light’s alfredo sauce before and we both really like it. We think it is a great lightened version, however, it doesn’t have the rich creaminess of the fuller fat alfredo sauce.

Tonight I followed the recipe as is with one major change to the recipe. Despite my certainty that we had some fettuccine in the pantry when I went to get out the ingredients I realized we have every type of pasta except fettuccine. We ended up using a mix of linguine and spaghetti instead. The alfredo sauce comes together quickly and uses a cup of grated parmesan cheese that adds lots of flavor and depth to the sauce. Once the pasta is done we tossed it with the sauce. Russ grilled chicken that had marinated for about an hour and a half in Italian dressing and we topped the pasta with slices of it. We served it with two veggies, black-eyed peas and broccoli. The only draw back to tonight’s meal was the timing. I underestimated the time the pasta would take to cook and the broccoli ended up a little over cooked. In the end though it was a pretty yummy meal that hopefully satisfied Russ’ alfredo craving! Russ rates the pasta a 7.

I also want to give some props to Cash who is always very helpful in the kitchen. He tends to hang out in the kitchen while I cook and loves to lick the floor under my feet to get up anything that may have dropped or spilled. He also tries to help on the blogging front, however, he is asleep under my chair right now. What a sweet baby!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: