Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Asparagus with a twist...

This past weekend my sweet sister went to a local market and brought Russ and me some fresh fruit, asparagus, and a plant. We decided to use some of these fresh goodies in tonight's dinner. I thought about cooking the asparagus using a CL recipe that we have done several times before and enjoyed, but instead I decided to try a new one. This is an asparagus dish that caught my eye in the April issue of CL. It is called Asparagus with Olive Gremolata.

I made a few changes to the asparagus dish including roasting the asparagus instead of steaming them and I used kalamata olives instead of picholine olives since that is what I had on hand. I used my mini food processor to make the gremolata which made it very easy. You chop the olives in it and then add the parsley, garlic, salt, and lemon rind and mix it all together. The olive topping is served over the asparagus.

While we didn't know what an olive gremolata was while we were eating it we really liked how it worked with the asparagus. It was a nice new to us flavor combination. It also complimented very nicely the steaks that Russ grilled to go with it. We did New York strips with just a little salt and pepper. They turned out very moist and tasty. I also cut up some of the fresh fruit from Jess to go with it. It was a very tasty summer meal. Russ rates the asparagus with olive gremolata a 8.

This picture of Cash is actually from this past weekend when I was making Russ' birthday cake. This is his spot in the kitchen where he hangs out while I am cooking. He is such a sweet puppy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a huge asparagus fan, and cannot wait to try out the gremolata!!!!!

Reba said...

EPK, You'll have to let me know if you try it out. It was a different asparagus recipe for us, but a yummy new flavor combination!