Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Crazy Cajun Weekend!

Tonight Russ and I decided to have a few friends over for a crawfish boil. We’ll we actually decided this several days ago, but it happened tonight. Russ and I both love crawfish and last year we ate them on several occasions during the season, however, this year we have barely eaten any of them. So, we decided we would solve this by having a crawfish boil in our backyard.

I made two dips for appetizers. The first is Sumner’s Salsa which is super easy to make and very tasty. It includes two chopped tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, black and green olives, shredded monetary jack cheese, fresh cilantro, and fat free Italian dressing. I made it as soon as we got home from Do Dah Day (see below) to let it have time to marinate. The other dip I made is a new recipe for me from Ina Garten. It is her Sun-Dried Tomato Dip. It is also fairly simple to make with the help of a food processor. It is a creamy dip with cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. It also as the name states includes sun-dried tomatoes and a few seasonings. I thought it turned out pretty well, but wished it had been a little more flavorful. Next time I think I will add a few more sun-dried tomatoes. I also think that in the future I will limit myself to one dip per party and do other non-dip appetizers to go with it. I love dips, but there are so many other good pick up appetizers out there that I should try.

Russ was in charge of the boil and crawfish. So, he ordered 35 lbs of crawfish and made a grocery list of everything else he needed. He includes fresh corn on the cob, red potatoes, garlic, lemons, and various seasonings in his boil. I think he did a great job and by the small number of crawfish left after everyone was done eating I would say that everyone else agreed. The crawfish were super moist and everything had great flavor. Russ thinks he can improve on it by getting the crawfish a little spicier. Next year he will up certain seasonings to accomplish this. The only other side we served with it was a wonderful slaw that Elizabeth made. It is her uncle’s recipe and it was the perfect side for the spicy boil.

For dessert I made Ina’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies. I made them in my beloved Kitchen Aid mixer. I still get excited using it and think it is a very fun kitchen tool. I am considering naming it…. Anyway, the cookies have peanut butter, brown sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, flour, and a couple other things. You cream the butter with the brown sugar, then add the eggs, then add the dry mixture. Last you fold in the chocolate chips. You bake these for 17 minutes and take them out when they look not quite done yet. They finish baking once you have taken them out. I think this is the key to this recipe as the cookies that were a little more done than the others were not as good. The ones that were done perfectly were very tasty! Russ and I both thought they were yummy. Sumner made brownies which were a very moist and tasty. I think that both desserts were well received.

I think that all the food turned out very well. This may just mean that we’ll have to do a crawfish boil again next year. Next time we will try to get the crawfish a little spicier and I’ll do the appetizers a little differently. However, this is not the last of the crawfish for Russ and me for this season. I will be making some etouffee soon with the leftover crawfish. Russ rates the boil a 6, the appetizers a 8, and the cookies a 9. I think Russ is being a little a little tough on himself with the 6 for the boil as I would give it a higher rating.

As I mentioned before we went to Do Dah Day today with Scott, Jess, Hugo, Allen, Blue, and of course Sweet Baby Cash. It is a super fun annual dog festival that takes place in a couple of the parks off of Highlands. It is always fun, but was especially fun this year as it was Cash’s first time. He had a blast! All the dogs had a fun time seeing all the other dogs, eating treats, and hanging out. Cash was worn out afterwards, but rallied for the crawfish boil in order to play with Thomas. Cash will be sleeping and resting for most of tomorrow!

(*Do Dah Day pictures will be posted with tomorrow's post since no food pictures or recipes will be posted... are we not cooking tomorrow night or is there something bigger going on...?)

Food Processor Slaw
(Uncle Richard's Recipe)

1 head green cabbage
1 head red cabbage
3 green onions
2 carrots
16 oz + of T. Marzetti's Slaw Dressing

Finely chop all ingredients and mix well. (You can use the food processor with the grating disk for the cabbage.) Add slaw dressing and mix well. Add more dressing to taste.

Sumner's Salsa


1/4 lb monetary jack cheese, shredded
2 (4 oz) cans of sliced black olives, drained
2 (4 oz) cans of chopped green chiles
2 large chopped tomatoes
2 green onions chopped (green and white parts)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fat free Italian dressing

Put it all together in a bowl and let it sit for a couple hours or overnight in the fridge to marinate.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
(Ina Garten, "Barefoot Contessa, Parties!")
Makes 36 to 40 cookies

1/2 lb. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 and 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup good smooth peanut butter
2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt (my notes: next time I think I will cut this in half or possibly eliminate it, with the peanut butter I am not sure additional salt is needed)
1 pound good semisweet chocolate chunks

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla and peanut butter, and mix. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and add to the batter, mixing only until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.

Drop the cookie dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using either a 1 and 3/4 inch ice cream scoop or a rounded tablespoon. Dampen your hands, flatten the dough lightly, then press the tines of a wet fork in both directions. Bake for exactly 17 minutes (the cookies will seem underdone). Do not over bake. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

No comments: