Sunday, July 1, 2007

Another night of 10s!

July 1st and we are already cooking and blogging. After a slow June for cooking we started July off with a bang – two new recipes that were both hits! Russ and I went to the farmer’s market yesterday, so many of the yummy fruits and veggies we got there will be showing up in this week’s meals. Tonight we had some of the corn we got there – fixed a new way. To go with the corn we had steaks and a salad that have wanted to try for some time.

The corn and salad are both Ina Garten’s recipes. I was looking through her cookbooks to find the salad recipe and thought I would browse to see if she had a creamed corn recipe. Ends up that I found a yummy recipe for Sautéed Fresh Corn instead of creamed corn. The recipe is very simple and takes less time than boiling water for corn on the cob. You cut the kernels off the cobs as close to the cob as possible. Then you melt butter and add the corn, salt, and pepper to the pan. I used my cast iron skillet for this which I think worked really well and only enhanced the flavor. You simply sauté the corn for about 10 minutes until it is done. The corn tasted fantastic! It was so easy and very flavorful. I think I may prefer it to boiled corn on the cob. This may be my new go to method for cooking fresh corn. Russ loved it too and rated it a 10!

The salad we had tonight is one that I have wanted to try for a while as it incorporates several of my favorite foods and flavors. I love onions and love them raw, cooked, roasted, sautéed etc. For Ina’s Red Lettuce with Balsamic Onions you roast the onions in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper for about 15 minutes. While they are cooking you mix together the vinaigrette and toss it with the lettuce. The vinaigrette has red wine vinegar, minced shallots, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, olive oil and blue cheese. Once the onions have cooked and cooled you plate the lettuce and add the onions and additional blue cheese crumbles on top. I love onions, balsamic vinegar, blue cheese… so I thought this salad was a wonderful mix of great flavors! Ina’s vinaigrette didn’t wow me though, so I think I will make it a little differently next time to have it more to my taste. I’ll probably use Creole mustard instead of Dijon, more vinegar, less olive oil, and a pinch more salt and pepper. Russ also loved this salad and he is not as obsessed with onions as I am. The salad was a perfect complement to the steaks with the onions and blue cheese. We will certainly be making this salad again. Russ rates the salad a 10 too!

Tonight’s dinner was a wonderful surprise. While I was excited about trying the salad and Russ and I both love fresh, summer corn I don’t think either of us expected such great results. Russ grilled the steaks on the Egg using a new seasoning blend we picked up this weekend at a local butcher shop (Mr. P's Original Bold and Spicy Seasoning). It had great flavor with a nice kick to it and Russ, as always, grilled the steaks perfectly.

Red Lettuce with Balsamic Onions, Ina Garten

3 small red onions
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
1 cup good olive oil
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons minced shallots (2 large)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
¼ cup good red wine vinegar
3/4 to 1 lb Maytag blue cheese, or other crumbly blue
2 heads red-leaf, washed, spun dry and torn into pieces

Preheat oven to 375.

Cut onions in 1/2 and slice 1/4-inch thick, place on a baking sheet and toss with 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until onions are tender. Remove from oven and toss with 2 more tablespoons balsamic vinegar and cool to room temperature.

Whisk together shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper in small bowl. While whisking, add 3/4 cup olive oil until emulsified. Mash 1/4 pound blue cheese with a fork and add it to the dressing.

To assemble, toss enough lettuce for 6 people with dressing, to taste. Place the lettuce on 6 plates and arrange onions on top. Coarsely crumble the rest of the blue cheese on top. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and crumbled and serve.

Sautéed Fresh Corn, Ina Garten

8 to 10 ears of corn on the cob (yellow or white corn)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Remove the husks and the silk from the corn and cut the kernels off as close to the husk as possible without removing any of the husk. You should have about 7 cups of kernels.

Melt the butter in a large, heavy sauté pan. Add the corn, salt, and pepper and sauté uncovered on medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the starchiness in the corn is gone. Taste, for salt and pepper, and serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this salad for a dinner party over the weekend and thought it was delicious. However, I think the recipe calls for way too much blue cheese. I'm never one to skimp on cheese, but 3/4 lb. - 1 lb. for 6 people is fairly excessive. I upped the recipe to serve 8 people and used around 1/3 lb. of cheese. I'd suggest just eyeballing the amount rather than following the recipe on this element. Otherwise, wonderful dish, and I agree with the 10 rating!

Jess