Saturday, July 14, 2007

Waffles... Just like Dad made...

Most of my cooking memories from growing up are from my Mom cooking dinner. However, some of my more special memories are of all the baking and cooking for the holidays and the occasional special treats we would make with my parents sometimes such as doughnuts, popcorn balls, gingerbread houses, Aunt Bill's Candy, peanut brittle, funnel cakes, and more. As I mentioned in my post from last weekend my Saturday cooking memory from growing up is of my Dad making waffles for three of us. I don't know the last time that I had Dad's waffles, but I remember watching Dad making them, how wonderful they tasted, and eating them half at a time so that they would stay hot. So, I was eager to give it a try this morning and let Russ experience my Dad's waffles for the first time.

To make Dad's waffles you mix together the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls and then combine them. The dry ingredients include flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. The wet ingredients are 1 egg (lightly whisked), milk, and vegetable oil. Once you combine the wet and dry separately you will want to stir them each separately and then combine. Dad said that he usually adds a little more flour once he combines them to get the consistency he likes. I did the same adding about 1/8 a cup more flour. You then heat your waffle iron, spray it with Pam, and cook your waffles.

The waffles turned out wonderful and tasted just like I remembered. Russ really liked them too and said he thought they were even better than last week's waffles. Dad's waffles are nothing fancy, but they are the perfect classic waffle. Russ and I ate them with a little butter and syrup. Russ rates the waffles a 10!

Now that Russ has tried my childhood Saturday breakfast I am wondering when he is going to make his Dad's Saturday morning pancakes for me.... Apparently music is the key ingredient to the pancakes, so I am anxious to give them a try.

Dad's Waffles

(Makes 2 to 3 waffles)

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 tablespoon sugar

Wet Ingredients:

1 egg, whisked
1 cup of milk (we used skim)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil

Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and stir just to mix them together. In a separate bowl add the egg and whisk it lightly, then add the milk and oil and stir to combine. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix them together. You may need to add about 1/8 of a cup more of flour in order to make sure the mixture is not too runny.

Heat your waffle iron and spray with Pam. Then add the batter and cook. Serve with butter and syrup.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm loving this blog, reba! ; )
got your addy from nic. i'm going to stay tuned and try to be inspired...although with a 5 month old, a part-time job, 4 greyhounds, and one sassy cat, i'm a bit busy and don't get too extravagant in the kitchen!
check us out at www.thematthews.typepad.com
can i add you to my friend list on my site? would love to!

laura : )

Reba said...

Laura, I am so glad you like the blog! I heard all about Pierce from Nic and loved checking out all his cute pictures on your site! You are welcome to add me to your friend list. I'll definitely stop by to see all the new pics of Pierce growing! Reba

Anonymous said...

I use a cup of plain yogurt (lemon or vanilla works too) in place of milk to make a light and tender waffle. Also, I use 2 eggs.
Love your blog...Marsha M.

Reba said...

I will definitely have to try yogurt in place of the millk. Russ and I both eat lots of yogurt, so we always have it around. Glad Mom shared my blog with you!