Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Delighted Husband

My favorite person to cook for is without a doubt Russ, but I also really enjoy cooking for friends and family. Some of my favorite meals with friends and family are the spontaneous, relaxing, casual weeknight dinners that seem to just plan themselves. Tonight I had planned to make Husband’s Delight for Russ and me for dinner. Russ and Allen just happen to be at a stage in the beer brewing process where they need to get together and move the beer from one container to another. So, Russ emailed Allen this afternoon to see if he wanted to join us for dinner and then beer stuff. Allen has heard Elizabeth, Seth, Russ, and me talk about Husband’s Delight before, but he has not eaten it yet and I just knew he would love it. Tonight was a relaxing, enjoyable dinner with Russ and Allen. While I enjoy entertaining on a more elaborate scale I also enjoy not worrying about how clean the house is, if the table is set, and how the food will turn out and just fixing a simple meal for a laid back evening with a good friend.

This recipe is one that I got from Elizabeth and it holds true to its name in that most males really like it. I will put a disclaimer out that I am not sure every husband or male will love it as much as Seth, Russ, and Allen do; however, if they at any point in their life were a fan of Hamburger Helper then I would pretty much guarantee they will love this! To make Husband’s Delight you start by browning the ground beef. Once it is cooked you pour off the excess grease and add the garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, and tomato sauce. I also added diced white onion because I love onion and tend to add it to any recipe that doesn’t already call for it and if it does call for it then I usually increase the amount called for – I’m just wild and crazy like that! Cover this and let is simmer for about 15 minutes. While it simmers bring a pot of water to a boil and add the noodles. I used spaghetti noodles, but almost any thin or small size pasta will work well. While everything is cooking you chop the scallions (I increased the amount – again just wild and crazy) and mix them in with the sour cream and cream cheese. Once the noodles are cooked you drain them and set them aside to start the assembly process. One note on the noodles though, when you are making a dish like this where the noodles are going to be cooked or baked more it is imperative that you do not over cook them. I would recommend cooking them to al dente and not a second longer. For the assembly you take baking dish and spray it with Pam and then start layering the ingredients into it. Start with the noodles first, then the meat sauce, then the sour cream mixture, and then a layer of shredded cheddar cheese. Then repeat making sure that you end with the layer of cheddar cheese. This bakes for about 20 minutes at 350 F or until heated through and bubbly.

This really is like a fancier, homemade version of Hamburger Helper. It is gooey and cheesy and the pasta / beef / tomato sauce combo just seems to hit a homerun with Allen and Russ. I really like Husband’s Delight, but much like the Manly Sandwich while I like it Russ and Allen love it. It is a heavy dish, so I served it with a side of steamed broccoli to help balance it out some. This is a yummy comfort food dish that is great for a cold winter night. Russ rates it a solid 9.

Husband’s Delight, from Elizabeth (adapted from Linly Heflin’s recipe)

1 plus lb. ground beef (Elizabeth recommends doubling it)
1 clove garlic or garlic salt
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Black pepper to taste
2 cans tomato sauce – 8 oz. size (Elizabeth recommends adding more)
5 scallions (I added more)
1 package small noodles – 8 oz. size
1 package of cream cheese, softened (the standard rectangular size, I used all of it)
1 carton of sour cream (I used the large size and used almost all of it)
½ cup grated cheddar cheese (I used more)

Brown beef, pour off excess grease. Add garlic, salt, pepper, sugar and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Cook noodles and drain. Chop part of tops and part of bottoms of scallions, finely. Mix with cream cheese and sour cream. Grease baking dish lightly. Put layers of noodles, meat sauce, sour cream mixture, and grated cheese, ending with the grated cheese on top. Bake about 20 minutes – to heat thoroughly – at 350 degrees. Best mixed the day before. Serves 8, with seconds.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The Husband's Delight is awesome and a definite 10. I highly recommend all viewers to try this dish. One helping leaves you warm and happy.

And the beer brew has a large amount of potential.

Reba said...

I am so glad you liked it! We need to do a special blog entry on Russ and your beer brews soon. Hope you are having a wonderful birthday today!

Unknown said...

Can this really be better than classic baked spaghetti? I'm skeptical, but I'll try anything once. I think Husband's Delight is my project for the weekend . . .

Reba said...

You will have to let me know what you think after you make it! I think you will find it to have more cheese and a creamier texture than the classic baked spaghetti.

Unknown said...

My vote is yes, it is better than baked spaghetti, but it wins in a photo finish. The cream texture is what sets it apart.