Sunday, February 3, 2008

My Chocolate Chip Cookie Quest

A couple of weekends ago I made two different kinds of cookies including a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. While we liked the chocolate chip cookies I didn’t think they were the end all be all for chocolate chip cookies. I’ve made several cookies that were to me a look no further this is the recipe such as these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, however, I have not had such an experience with a chocolate chip cookie recipe yet. I’ve decided to try and make an effort to seek out the best chocolate chip cookie recipe out there. Now, this is tricky as everyone has different things that they like about a cookie since I like chewy cookies over crunchy or cakey ones that will be goal. I also like a lot of chocolate chips in them and for them to be sweet, but not too sweet. Since Russ and I were going over to Allen’s to watch the Super Bowl I thought it would be the perfect time to try out another chocolate chip cookie recipe and what better one to start my quest with than the classic Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. Believe it or not this is my first time trying this recipe even though I know it is considered the standard recipe to many people. I tend to shy away from recipes that I find on packages although I am not quite sure why except that I might be developing a few food snob tendencies…
I followed the recipe as is, however, it doesn’t specify unsalted or salted butter or light or dark brown sugar. I used salted butter and light brown sugar this go around. Cookies tend to come together in a very similar fashion – wet ingredients in one bowl (mix together to incorporate the butter) and dry ingredients in another. Then slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet and finally fold in the chocolate chips and nuts if you use them (I left out the nuts since Russ doesn’t like them in his cookies). These bake for 9 – 11 minutes at 375 F.

I can see why this recipe is considered the standard for chocolate chip cookies as it was a good, classic chocolate chip cookie. However, I felt like it was a little cakey for me. I am not sure if maybe I should have made them smaller to make them less cakey or not. I also felt like while some cookies had plenty of chocolate chips that there were others that were lacking in the chip department. I do think that at some point I’ll give this recipe another go and this time I’ll add more chocolate chips, try using dark brown sugar, and make smaller cookies. Everyone seemed to like them, but there were no rave reviews like those that the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies garnered the other weekend… so, I’ll keep trying out recipes until I find one that gets the same wow reviews. Russ rates these chocolate chip cookies a 9.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reba,
You need to try Augusta's Chocolate Chip Cookies. Hands down, the best!
Elizabeth

Reba said...

Good call! I may have eaten a few of those during college... If you don't mind emailing me the recipe I'll give it a go.

Unknown said...

These cookies were a 9.5. Thank you for leaving me so many after the game. I finished the last ones off yesterday at lunch.

Reba said...

You are very welcome! I am glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for having us over to watch the game.