Monday, February 18, 2008

Removing the Training Wheels on Cooking Fish

After dinner tonight Russ made the comment that her really likes having fish for dinner and you know what so do I, but for some reason we don’t eat it near as often as we do chicken or beef. We love the flavor and texture of grouper, tuna, Mahi Mahi, halibut, salmon, and the list goes on and on. We both appreciate how quick it is to prepare and how after dinner we are full, but in a very light, clean way. There are so many varieties of fish and so many different ways to prepare them that it should have us up to our ears in recipes to try for fish. So, why is it that we don’t eat it more often… I mean really at least once a week right. I really think a lot of this has to do with my not being able to take my cooking training wheels off. You see I am picky about where I buy my fish and there are only a couple places in town where I will go for fish. I almost always buy it the day I am going to prepare it, so that it is as fresh as possible. However, this carries a risk because I usually have bought all the other ingredients for the dish and what if I get to the fish counter and they are out of salmon and my recipe calls for salmon. This is where I get nervous and panic because what if there is not an alternative type of fish that fits my recipe… then what… I still consider myself a novice cook and I did not grow up eating fish or seeing it being cooked, so I am still learning how different types of fish taste, cook, and what types are able to substitute for another type. Consequently I find it easier and less nerve wracking to just skip the fish recipes and go for the chicken because have you ever gone in the store and had them be out of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Tonight I go to the store and my recipe calls for cod, but it lists seven other types of fish that will work well and you know what they didn’t have any of them….so I just asked the fish monger for his recommendation from what they did have and he suggested the black grouper. The black grouper worked great in fact Russ thinks he would prefer it in this recipe over the cod! I do love fish and want to have it at home more often, so I am going to try and remove the training wheels and go ahead and put fish on the menu more often and trust myself that it will turn out alright (and if it doesn't Papa John knows where we live).

Tonight I made the cover recipe from the January Fine Cooking, Cod with Mushrooms, Garlic, and Vermouth. You start by sautéing the mushrooms in a little butter for several minutes. You then add the garlic and sauté it for about 45 seconds. Next you add the vermouth, parsley, vinegar, salt, and pepper and bring it to a boil. Let this reduce by half and then add the fish to the dish. Cover the dish and leave it until the fish is cooked through. Once the fish is cooked remove it and add the last of the butter to the sauce. Spoon the sauce over the fish, add a little more parsley and serve. I served the fish with brown rice and green beans.

The mushroom sauce was fantastic! It was light, flavorful and I loved the mushrooms in it. The fish was light, flaky, and tasty. Cooking the fish with the lid on allowed the fish to cook through while staying moist. This came together very quickly in fact I had to wait to start it to give the brown rice ample time to cook. Russ and I both really enjoyed this dish. Russ rates it a 9.

Cod with Mushrooms, Garlic, and Vermouth, Fine Cooking January 2008
Serves four.

4 Tbs. cold unsalted butter
10 oz. white or baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced about 1/8 inch thick
4 medium cloves garlic, minced
½ cup dry vermouth
3 and ½ Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
½ tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper; more to taste
Four 6 oz. skinless cod fillets

In a heavy 12-inch skillet, melt 3 Tbs. of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring only occasionally, until well browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden brown and fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the vermouth, 3 Tbs. of the parsley, the vinegar, salt, and pepper and boil until the liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat, lightly season the cod with salt and pepper and add it to the pan (tuck under the tails if necessary to even out the thickness), nesting the fillets into the mushrooms and spooning some of the mushrooms on top.

Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat, cover the pan, reduce to medium low, and simmer until just cooked through (use the tip of a paring knife to check), 7 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness. With a slotted spatula, transfer the fish to serving plates or a platter. Over low heat, whisk the remaining 1 Tbs. butter into the sauce. Spoon the sauce over the fish and serve sprinkled with the remaining ½ Tbs. parsley.

Variation: This recipe works well with many types of fish. Mahi mahi, pollock, haddock, sole, flounder, sea bass, and halibut make perfect substitutes; just reduce cooking time for thinner fillets.

No comments: