Sunday, August 26, 2007

Chicken Taco Salads

Russ and I went and played golf this afternoon (well, Russ played and I attempted to play), so I knew we would be getting home late and would want a quick, easy, and light dinner for tonight. I decided to repeat a meal that we did a month or so ago when we had some leftover chicken, Chicken Taco Salads.

For the chicken I boil a boneless, skinless chicken breast in water (1 breast is plenty for 2 people). When it is cooked I shred it and toss it in a skillet with taco seasoning and water. Last time we didn’t have any taco seasoning packets around, so I created the spice blend. This time I had the packet and used a little over half of it. Let this cook over low heat until the water is gone and the chicken absorbs the seasoning. While it cooks I chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. I toss all of this together and add shredded cheese to it. When the chicken is done I toss it with the salad and top it with sour cream and salsa. We serve it with tortilla chips.

This is a super easy dinner that is both yummy and filling. These salads have joined our list of meals that we go to when we don’t have lots of time, but want to eat at home and have a healthy meal. I also like that you can add whatever you like and have around to them (such as avocado, green onions, fresh cilantro, black beans, pinto beans, guacamole, jalapenos, pico de gallo etc.) Russ rates the salads a 9.

No comments: