Monday, August 20, 2007

Comfort Food - My Spaghetti Sauce

This week our schedule is up in the air where meal planning is not going to work very well. However, I don’t want to end up eating out every night for dinner and I would like something that we can share with family, so I decided to make a large batch of spaghetti that we can eat off of the nights we are at home this week and share and freeze the rest. I don’t have a recipe that I really follow for my spaghetti sauce, but it is loosely based off of my Mother’s version which also doesn’t have a recipe. I am going to try and put a recipe to my version, but just know that if you try it you can play with it by adding to it or removing anything you don’t about it.

To start I sauté the onions, peppers, and mushrooms in olive oil with a little salt and pepper and dried Italian seasonings. Once these are soft I add the ground beef to it and sauté until the meat is cooked through. I then drain it to get the grease out of it. I then start adding the different tomatoes and tomato sauces. I also add the black olives and more of the dried Italian seasoning. I’ll let it simmer for a while and then will check it to adjust the seasoning as necessary. Usually it will need more spices, salt and pepper. Let is simmer for approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with hot cooked spaghetti.

The spaghetti served it purpose this week by filling in meals for us and allowing us to share some with Russ' family. I like the variety of vegetables in it and the flavor and textures they add to it. This is a thicker, hearty sauce that for me is yummy comfort food. You can also make it anyway you want and it will still be yummy. If you don't like olives then leave them out, if you have other veggies around then throw them in, if you don't want red meat then try it with ground turkey and so forth and so on. It also freezes and shares very well, so whenever I do make spaghetti sauce I make a lot of it. Russ rates the spaghetti sauce a 9.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this looks delicious! I'll have to give it a try. Who does your photos - they're awesome! all your dishes look so pretty AND yummy! :) I'll continue to tune in! :)

Kristen

Reba said...

I'm so glad that you stopped by! Russ takes the pictures and I may be a little biased, but I think he does a great job too!