Sunday, August 5, 2007

A Colorful, Tasty Stir Fry

The August CL is the first issue in the past few months that has really gotten me excited to try lots of new recipes. This issue has lots of recipes that caught my eye and had me dog ear the page. I decided to not waste any time and go ahead and give one a try tonight. One of the recipes stood out to me as it looks very similar to one of our favorite dishes from Surin. So, I decided to give the Ginger, Beef, and Green Bean Stir Fry a try.

To make the dish you sauté chopped garlic, ginger, and green onions in a little dark sesame oil. You then add the sliced beef and sauté it for a few minutes. You then remove the beef mixture and sauté the green beans and red peppers for a few minutes. Then you add the beef mixture back into the pan and add the sauce to it. The sauce has chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili garlic sauce, and cornstarch. You bring the sauce to a boil and then cook it for another minute. The beef, veggie, sauce mixture is then plated over white rice.

Russ and I really liked this dish. I followed the recipe exactly and used the sirloin that it called for, however, next time I think I will use flank steak instead. We didn’t like the texture of the sirloin compared to that of flank steak. We also thought that brown rice would have worked well with this dish. The only other changes I would make is to maybe add sliced onion to the stir fry and try adding some fresh basil at the very end (like the dish we like from Surin has). This stir fry had great flavor and I really liked the green beans and red pepper in it. They add great flavor, texture, and color to the dish! This one will definitely be repeated in our house. Russ rates the stir fry a 9.

2 comments:

Barbara Lynch said...

Hey, Rebecca-This is vey cool-great job! I love all of your recipes, and i love your sources from ina, giada, and CL. Love, Barbara

Reba said...

I am so glad you like the blog! Russ and I have had a fun time doing it!